The audits are on rise due to incorrectly paid DME claims. Medicare only pays for services it deems “reasonable and medically necessary”. There are tool and resources available to help you navigate through this world. The most important form is Advanced Beneficiary (ABN). This form will help providers and facilities provider important information to patient about the cost of services and financially responsibility. Learn how to complete the form for medicare and non medicare patients alike to save your practice from losing money.
Medicare’s ABN form is tricky, but add DME billing requirements and it becomes downright hazardous. If you get it right, and you can collect denied funds directly from your patients. Figuring out the right ABN to use can be a dicey. Our expert Leonta Williams, BSHIM, RHIA, CCS, CCDS, CPC, CHONC, CEMC, CPCO, CRC, will help you to improve your accuracy and provides tips and tricks for handling patients who refuse to sign the form.
- Use NCD and LCD to uncover non-covered services
- Reduce claims denial due to lack of medical necessity
- Learn what is acceptable practice for completing the ABN
- Learn how to use your in-house system edits to improve billing and reimbursement
- Discuss the problems surrounding pre-printed forms
- Discuss means of collecting payments from patients
- Learn techniques for handing patients who refuse to sign the form
- Discuss tips for complying with regulatory and legal requirements
Areas Covered in the Session:
After attending the session, participants will be find answer of the following questions:
- How much of the standard ABN form can I customize?
- Do ABNs need to be different based on the type of product we offer?
- Are there any additional ABN requirements for continuous noncovered services?
- Am I required to have Non-Medicare patients sign an ABN too?
- How do I correctly report modifiers GA, GX, GY and GZ?
- Who is responsible for getting the ABN signed if multiple doctors are authorizing products?
- When I estimate the cost of services on the form, how close do I need to be?
- Can an ABN be issued to bill a patient for products denied due to a Medically Unlikely Edit (MUE)?
- What is a voluntary ABN?
- Can an ABN be issued on products not covered by Medicare Parts A, B, C or D?
- When an authorized representative signs an ABN instead of the patient, who is responsible for the charges?
- Do I have to use an ABN form if I’m Non-Par with Medicare?
- Can we use ABNs for noncovered portions of bundled services?
- Are ABNs different depending on the patient’s location: home, SNF, hospice, etc.?
Who Should Attend:
- Healthcare CEOs
- Healthcare CFOs
- Non Physician Practitioners
- Practice Managers
- Compliance Managers
- Billing Specialists
- Claim Processors
About the Presenter:
Leonta Williams, BSHIM, RHIA, CCS, CCDS, CPC, CHONC, CEMC, CPCO, CRC, has over 15 years HIM experience as a coding director, auditor, educator, trainer, practice manager and mentor. Over the years, some of her responsibilities include physician and staff education, risk mitigation, outpatient CDI and managing remote coding personnel. Lee also periodically teaches an Intro to Risk Adjustment class for those seeking credentialing as certified risk adjustment coder.
She is founder and the past president of the local AAPC Covington, GA chapter and currently serves on AAPC’s National Advisory Board. She is also GHIMA Coding Roundtable Committee Chair. Lee is a national speaker, frequently to contributes to healthcare publication, and credentialed through the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), the Association of Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialists (ACDIS) and the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). She is heavily credentialed in coding and compliance matters and hold B.S. in Health Information Management.
You will receive an email with login information and handouts (presentation slides) that you can print and share to all participants at your location.
Operating System: Windows any version preferably above Windows Vista & Mac any version above OS X 10.6
Internet Speed: Preferably above 1 MBPS
Headset: Any decent headset and microphone which can be used to talk and hear clearly
Can’t Listen Live?
No problem. You can get access to On-Demand webinar. Use it as a training tool at your convenience.
For more information you can reach out to below contact:
Toll-Free No: 1-302-444-0162
You can also use the order form for making orders. Click here to download.