The Health Insurance and Portability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act of 2003 (HITECH) strictly govern how health information is used or disclosed. Among the many areas impacted by these rules (billing, marketing, research, IT security, etc.) is fund raising. The rules significantly impact the methods and practice that hospitals, their institutionally related foundations, and other healthcare charities may or must employ when using ANY patient or client information for fund raising.
The webinar will cover how to effectively implement the fundraising regulations in a manner that increases both opportunities for philanthropic support and compliant implementation of the mandates.
The rules include specific operational requirements, some of which prohibit protocols that were required under the original HIPAA regulations. The “magic words” mandated by HIPAA-related regulations often change in multiple areas. The webinar will cover these areas to ensure that not-for-profit organizations’ fund-raising is both legally compliant and operationally effective.
The types of information that may be used for fund raising are explicitly limited. This webinar presents numerous substantial fund raising opportunities, as well as challenges on the use and storage of such information
- If you are a health care professional who is affiliated with a fundraising institution, you will learn how you can remain both ethically and legally complaint with patient privacy, while assisting both your affiliated institution and your patient/client.
- Institutions will learn about compliance requirements for donor data base management.
- You will learn how to keep your fundraising communication and related policies compliant without impairing operational effectiveness.
- You will learn effective and efficient strategies to maintain compliance.
- Institutions that fund raise will learn how to legally engage clinical advocates within their organization.
- Similarly, health related institutions that fund raise must make sure their fundraising practices minimize the compliance risks and satisfy mandates governing the use of patient/client
Areas Covered in the Session:
- Types of HIPAA governed health information that may be used for fundraising
- Entities that must comply with HIPAA when fundraising
- Requirements for using HIPAA protected information for fund raising
- Requirements for protocols to allow patients to opt-out of using their PHI for fundraising
- Strategic opportunities in fundraising using HIPAA protected information
- Required methods and content of informing patients and clients of their right to opt-out from receiving fundraising communication
- The types of communication subject to HIPAA opt-out rights
- The type of patient and client information that health charities may use for fund raising
- How clinicians can assist both their patients/clients and the health organizations with which they are affiliated when it comes to fund raising.
- Strategies for educating clinical and executive leadership on HIPAA compliant fundraising
- CDO and Other Development Staff
- CIO and IT Compliance Staff
- General Counsel
- Compliance Officers
- Compliance Staff
- Physician Leaders (CMO, Department Chiefs, Division Heads)
- Administrative Department Heads
- CNO and Other Clinical Leaders
About the Presenter:
Joel L. Simon has been a development professional at LifeBridge Health in Baltimore, MD since 2004. With roots dating back over 140 years, LifeBridge is a four hospital 1,144-bed system providing acute, chronic, and nursing care to the Baltimore metropolitan area.
Prior to his employment LifeBridge, Mr. Simon spent six years as director of planned-giving at a Baltimore community hospital. Joel has personally raised more than $100,000,000 in immediate and conformed planned gifts in his career. Before his health care career, Joel worked at a large regional law firm and as assistant in-house counsel at a community teaching hospital. He has been a licensed member of the Maryland Bar for more than 30 years.
Mr. Simon is one of the nation’s leading experts on the fundraising aspects of HIPAA. Joel is an editor of “Fundraising Under HIPAA” published by the Association of Healthcare Philanthropy. He has lectured frequently on fund raising under HIPAA to national audiences since the original HIPAA regulations were proposed 18 years ago.
You will receive an email with login information and handouts (presentation slides) 1 day before the live webcast that you can print and share to all participants at your location.
Operating System: Windows any version preferably above Windows Vista & Mac any version above OS X 10.6
Internet Speed: Preferably above 1 MBPS
Headset: Any decent headset and microphone which can be used to talk and hear clearly
Can’t Listen Live?
No problem. You can get access to On-Demand webinar. Use it as a training tool at your convenience.
For more information you can reach out to below contact:
Toll-Free No: 1-302-444-0162
Email: [email protected]
You can also use the order form for making orders. Click here to download.