This webinar discusses the foundations of HIPAA and how they relate to the issues of today. The rules to be discussed encompass the full range of the HIPAA Privacy Rule, with particular focus on the areas that have seen changes in the rules, technologies, or practices that impact HIPAA compliance. Patient rights and controls on uses and disclosures have been in flux, HHS has issued guidance, and other regulations related to personal information have been enacted or modified. Healthcare entities face significant challenges with issues today that didn’t even exist a few years ago, such as insecure communications, Ransomware, and the E.U.’s GDPR, protecting all kinds of personal information. As opioid issues have spread, interactions with the SAMHSA 42 CFR Part 2 regulations on information relating to substance use disorders have taken center stage. There is no shortage of topics of interest to the HIPAA Privacy Officer.
This session will focus on understanding what are the issues that a HIPAA Privacy Officer faces, and what are the areas of HIPAA that are changing. While the rules have been in place for years now, the focus of their application has changed as technologies and practices have changed, and changes to the rules are on the horizon. In addition, there are changes in other regulations that interact with HIPAA requirements, and that require consideration in your planning. The session will discuss the latest topics of interest and describe how they relate to the regulations and their enforcement today.
The HIPAA experts and HIPAA newbie will be able to:
- Stay up with changes to HIPAA and related regulations in personal information privacy and security
- Understand the regulatory issues most frequently encountered in day-to-day operation of health care entities
- Understanding the variety of forms entities can take under HIPAA and how they relate to one another
- How patient rights such as access and amendment of information , are protected and enforced under HIPAA
- How uses and disclosures may take place in a wide variety of circumstances, including such hot topics as sharing information with the family and friends of a patient when they’re involved with the patient’s care
Areas Covered In This Session:
- Current topics of interest to be discussed include:
- Current enforcement and audit activity,
- Changes to Substance Use Disorder records confidentiality under 42 CFR Part 2,
- Dealing with the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and
- Ensuring individuals have adequate access of their information under the rules.
- The place of Information Security and incident management under the HIPAA Security and Breach Notification Rules will be explained.
- Processes to be used in managing security, mitigating risks, and handling incidents will be explained.
- Proper methods of documentation and training to ensure compliance and help avoid penalties will be explained, including the use of internal audits and drills to develop and hone the ability to:
- improve compliance continuously and
- be prepared for incidents and enforcement investigations.
Who will benefit:
- Compliance Director
- Privacy Officer
- Security Officer
- Information Systems Manager
- HIPAA Officer
- Chief Information Officer
- Health Information Manager
- Healthcare Counsel/lawyer
- Office Manager
About The Presenter:
Jim Sheldon-Dean is the founder and director of compliance services at Lewis Creek Systems, LLC, a Vermont-based consulting firm founded in 1982, providing information privacy and security regulatory compliance services to a wide variety of healthcare entities. He is a frequent speaker regarding HIPAA, including speaking engagements at numerous regional and national healthcare association conferences and conventions and the annual NIST/OCR HIPAA Security Conference. Sheldon-Dean has more than 36 years of experience in policy analysis and implementation, business process analysis, information systems and software development, and eight years of experience doing hands-on medical work as a Vermont certified volunteer emergency medical technician. Sheldon-Dean received his B.S. degree, summa cum laude, from the University of Vermont and his master’s degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
You will receive an email with login information and handouts (presentation slides) that you can print and share to all participants at your location.
Operating System: Windows any version preferably above Windows Vista & Mac any version above OS X 10.6
Internet Speed: Preferably above 1 MBPS
Headset: Any decent headset and microphone which can be used to talk and hear clearly
Can’t Listen Live?
No problem. You can get access to On-Demand webinar. Use it as a training tool at your convenience.
For more information you can reach out to below contact:
Toll-Free No: 1-302-444-0162
Email: [email protected]
You can also use the order form for making orders. Click here to download.